Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The rise and fall of the ginsu gardener


Me? A DPS warrior?

I was a little apprehensive about leaving the shield at home. I didn't start Pheefee to be DPS, I made her because (in the days before paid server transfers) my RL friends needed a tank in their itty-bitty guild. I came, I leveled, I got lots of comments about how good my night elf female looked in plate armor.

Wrath hits, people are doing 5-mans, the uber tanks in the guild are either MIA (*cough* Warhammer) or trying out new specs... I'm in the bank looking for DPS gear I can dust off to go with the impending respec, and guildies are asking for a tank to do Utgarde Keep. I offer to go with caveats that my gear isn't uber-leet (tanking purples dotted with blues and a couple impressive greens) and publicly announcing that I haven't tanked in many, many months. They say no problem, just a 5 man. We manage to down the first boss with a few wipes, but the mage has been complaining since the 3rd pull that he can't keep from pulling aggro, and finds an excuse to leave. Really? A firemage, in BT/Hyjal gear, is pulling aggro? -AND- giving me advice that I need to spam AoE threat? When I explained that my AoE threat was on an eight second cooldown, and that didn't seem particularly 'spammable' -- he consulted with a friend about how I should have specced differently. I bowed out after the mage bailed, firm in my decision to retire my shield.

I found a spec over at Incompetent Warrior that sounded worth trying. The slashing and hacking was beautiful (that spinny thing, like a pirouette of destruction!)... and bravely let my warrior go kick some ass as she went to pick flowers. My very own ginsu gardener.

Except that several days after the release of the expansion, I've got three level 70s stumbling around in Northrend. Yep, all still 70, and the level curve in my guild is like a wave pulling away from me. To get the flowers my warlock needs, I have to be on my warrior; the mobs that patrol the flowery goodness don't understand that I'm there for another toon, and that they should overlook the 'no plans to grind levels on my warrior.' I don't want to be on my warrior; I'd rather be on either of my other toons.

Well, phooey. This is a fine mess I've gotten myself into.

No comments: