Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The discarded children

Not altogether unlike Nebraska, my character selection screen is getting a little crowded with older toons these days. Sure, I know folks with 6, 7, even 8 level 70s in our guild, but a full time job, part time school, and other hobbies + non-gaming friends are my excuses for my obvious slackerdom.

Roll call from the orphanage:
Svetmira, 43 shadow priest. Prior to (recently) hearing about the new dual-spec options, this toon had been next in line for leveling. Now that dual-spec-ness is headed for the game, the only reason to level her would be to (effectively) replace the Dwarven skin of my healer main. And with the barber shop offering permanent hair color changes and various plastic surgeries, how far behind can soul transfers be?

Zaramina, 53 frost mage. The toon that taught me two important lessons:
1. Leveling up together rarely works like you think it should.
2. Pretty spell effects don't make a class fun to play. (Note to self: remember this every time you see a druid make the room go all sparkly.)

GarnĂȘt, 63 arms/fury warrior. Ah, my first toon. She used to be named Ziya, back when she was a prot warrior on another server, for a now-disbanded guild. I moved her to my main server because it seemed a waste of tradeskill opportunities to leave her languishing back on Proudmoore. My heart has never been in playing a DPS warrior, so I don't see much of a future for this toon beyond her gathering mats.

I'm noticing there's a consistent *3 level to these characters. Push to make it to a particular hurdle (a mount when that happened at 40, tradeskill threshold at 50), coast a little bit farther, then on to something less onerous.

No comments: